On the 16th of October 2019 it was 30 Years since Cadimage Solutions was established.
Following the Sale of Cadimage several people suggested I should write a book. Iâ€™ve never been too sure if I could write something as long as a book and keep the reader interested.
Generally, Iâ€™m a pretty forward-looking person though I do enjoy history as well, so, I decided in October 2019 to write a series of posts that provide some highlights from the Cadimage Story.
These views are my own and, in many cases, include some business lessons I picked up at various times during my time at Cadimage that I have been able to apply later in my career.
Warning some of the posts ended up a bit longer then planned!
- 1989 – Founding
- 1991 – ArchiCAD beginnings
- 1994 – Employee #1
- 1996 – Early Beginnings
- 1996 – Cadimage Employee (#2)
- 1999 – ArchiCAD API
- 2001 – Student Version Experiments
- 2001 – ARCHICADselect + New Zealand Tools
- 2003 – Buildmedia Founding
- 2004 – Going Global
- 2005 – Pricing Effects
- 2006 – Management Buy-out
- 2008 -Â Response to a Crisis
- 2011 – Acquisition of CADConsult
- 2012 – Acquisitions and Divestments
- 2013 – Switching Tools to Subscription
- 2013 – Pseudo ARCHICAD Subscription
- 2015 – Real ArchiCAD Subscription
- 2016 – Business Exit
Firstly, the saying â€œnever let the truth get in the way of a good storyâ€ springs to mind and while Iâ€™m not saying Iâ€™m deliberately changing the facts, hindsight and memory provides their own filters. Considering I wasnâ€™t part of the entire Cadimage Story, some of the early history has been handed down.
Secondly, Iâ€™ve had to rack my brain in regard to the dates and timing of some of the things that have happened. I think they are reasonably accurate, but mostly the story is more important than the date something happened. Fortunately, ArchiCAD release dates help pin some things down.